Saturday, October 9, 2010

Here We Go Again

No its not here we go again its another season.  (which is a month away)  Its here we go again with we like to call Drama Inc.  How much drama can be associated with high school (HS) athletes?  It drove me to start this blog and I really don't like to write lol.  For the last four years my staff and I have brought a program out of the ashes to a state recognized program again.  But not with out problems and lots of them.  I will eventually get into the past later on in future posts.  wow that sentence belongs in a Back to the Future movie.  Lets start with the modern day just to get your feet wet.

One of our top athletes who is state caliber, in fact already has a state medal has decided to turn to the dark side.  What do I mean by that?  DRUGS!!!!  Ouch.   Why?  How could you take this path?  Well his story "it helps him get through the tough times."  A 3.0 or higher GPA DI recruit.  Girl friend breaks up with him he decides to throw it down the drain.  His friends are turning their backs on him because they have tried to help but he does not respond.  It is to the point were he is starting to pick fights with his own teammates.

Before I discuss what we are doing.  I would like to here some of your suggestions.  Of course we have talked with him and the parents.  But what actions would you take to bring him back to the level of past greatness? Is it that easy that you just seek him help?  Its a small town and all will know he is a user.  Do you overlook it and hope he snaps out of it?  Do you take the only thing that he loves away from the sport he competes in?  Do you suspend him from school?  What if that gives him more opportunity to use. 

As coaches if you have not faced this problem you will.  Look outside of coaching you could be a parent, teacher, or boss.  What do you do?  In wrestling you grow a relationship like no other.  You love your athletes because they lay it on the line and work to they can't work no more day in and day out.  This is a young person that you can make the difference in his life.

There is a lot of thought that has to go into this before you act.  I will say I never agreed with just throwing them off the team.  1.  it gives them the excuse that I could of been this or that but coach threw me off the team.  2.  I don't want that on me if the kid does throw his life away and I could have helped.

After some comments I will tell you the actions we are taking with him.  I hope to maybe get some good advice as well to help with the issue at hand.

Lets make better people not just great athletes.




 Check out sportshock.net a great place to advertise youth sports camps, events, and tournaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment